Swaying palm bushes and crashing waves. Turtles laying on sandy seashores. Candy shave ice and recent poke. Maui has lengthy held guests entranced by its allure and wonder, however Hawai‘i is a lot greater than a journey playground: its historical past and tradition run deep. I feel we might spend years exploring Hawai‘i, studying about its tradition and historical past, consuming its scrumptious meals, and swimming in its heat waters, and by no means get uninterested in it.
However sufficient speaking about how lovely Maui is how a lot we adore it (significantly, we might go on for days). At this time we’re speaking all about what to pack for Maui!
Whereas this Hawai‘i packing checklist will cowl the specifics of what to deliver and why and we’ll provide you with our strategies for what to put on in Hawai‘i, we’re not going to let you know, like, precisely how pairs of underwear to pack – we belief you may determine that out by yourself.
As an alternative, we’re specializing in the precise belongings you’ll have to make your journey to Hawai‘i as great and memorable as potential – so that you don’t look again and cringe since you received a sunburn on day one and spent the remainder of your trip depressing. (Belief me – we’ve all been there.)
On this important Maui packing checklist, we’re together with all the pieces you should deliver to remain cool, snug, and blissfully un-sunburnt. Let’s go!
Searching for extra Maui guides or beachy packing suggestions? Check out a few of our different posts:
I do know that is technically a packing information, however when you’re questioning what to pack for Maui, chances are high you may be questioning a few of these different questions, too! Listed below are essentially the most incessantly requested questions we get about planning a visit to Maui, Hawaii.
What’s the most effective time of yr to go to Maui?
The perfect occasions of the yr to go to Maui are April by way of Could and September by way of November. Though the climate in Maui is heat and great all yr lengthy, throughout these months there are each fewer crowds and rain is much less probably.
Should you’ll be visiting between November and March, your journey overlaps with Maui’s wet season – be sure to pack accordingly!
Is it Hawaii or Hawai‘i?
This query dives proper into the guts of the advanced historical past of Hawai’i. Legally, the state is named “Hawaii,” however the true identify of the island is Hawai‘i.
It’s an ideal instance of how the USA has handled Hawai‘i through the years: the USA invaded the Hawaiian Kingdom, overthrew its monarchy, exploited its land and other people, and has maintained dominance with a army presence ever since – a incorrect that has by no means been acknowledged by the USA authorities. Here’s a transient historical past, and right here is an interactive map exhibiting the results of colonization throughout Hawai‘i.
As a customer, it’s extremely essential to be taught the correct names and pronunciation of Hawaiian locations. We made many errors on our first journey to Maui, mispronouncing and misspelling issues proper and left. We later realized that our ignorance or unwillingness to be taught the proper pronunciation was disrespectful and insulting to Hawaiian locals and residents.
What we’ve since discovered is that in Hawaiian tradition, locations have tales, and studying their names honors these tales and their significance. The survival of the Hawaiian language (‘Ōlelo Hawai‘i,) regardless of legal guidelines banning the language from being taught in faculties, is a testomony to the power and cultural legacy of the Hawaiian folks.
As soon as we discovered easy methods to pronounce Hawaiian vowels and use the glottal cease, we practiced pronunciation on each phrase we might discover throughout our keep. Here’s a implausible primer to studying the Hawaiian language, and right here is an audio information that can assist you be taught among the commonest phrases.
Bear in mind, a part of being accountable vacationers is to respect the locations you go to! We advocate studying this e book earlier than your journey to get a a lot deeper perception into Hawai‘i, its tradition and other people, and the position tourism has performed in Hawai‘i historical past.
How lengthy do you should go to Maui?
We determined to take a 3 day journey for our first go to to Maui not as a result of we didn’t wish to keep longer, however as a result of it’s SO rather more inexpensive. However was our journey lengthy sufficient?
Effectively, right here’s the factor: 3 days in Maui is sufficient to alter to island time, fall in love with Maui, do a number of must-see highlights, eat a bunch of yummy meals, after which … oh, it’s time to go residence already?? Actually?!
3 days in Maui is like an appetizer. A teaser. It is going to completely make you wish to go to Maui once more. However it’s additionally a LOT much less dear than a full week! Maui is a reasonably costly vacation spot, and it might find yourself being extra doable to spend a number of 3-day weekends in Maui over the course of some years slightly than a full week.
Should you can spend a full week – 7 days, together with two journey days and 5 days of exercise – you’ll be capable of see rather more of the island!
Do you want a automobile in Maui?
Sure, you completely want a automobile in Maui! The island is sort of unfold out and rural – there’s no downtown to talk of, and it’s not walkable. Renting a automobile won’t solely enable you to see as a lot of the island as potential, however it’ll mean you can do one among our favourite actions in Maui, the Highway to Hana!
That stated, rental automobiles in Maui are PRICEY. We advocate utilizing Kayak to check offers throughout automobile rental firms, together with Turo, which is a well-liked native car-share service and infrequently the most cost effective choice. Check out Maui automobile leases on Kayak.
Maui Journey Tip: As quickly as you get into your rental automobile, activate this Hawaiian Music Spotify playlist! It’s the proper musical setting to the gorgeous surroundings rolling previous your home windows.
Do you could have another assets to assist me plan my journey to Maui?
Sure! We’ve received an in depth Maui itinerary.
READ THIS POST
What to Pack for Maui: Important Hawai‘i Packing Record
The Fundamentals: Issues to Pack for Hawai‘i
Prepared to leap in to packing for Maui? Let’s begin with a number of fundamental must-haves to your journey:
- Carry-On Dimension Suitcase: The Away carry-on sized bag is my go-to for bringing alongside greater than I actually and never paying additional to verify a bag. It’s properly constructed, tremendous light-weight, and sufficiently small to suit the carry-on necessities of most home funds airways. Plus, due to the versatile sides, I managed to squeeze two snorkel fins and this large snorkel masks into it with out something breaking!
- Journey Toiletry Organizer: This hanging toiletry organizer comes with me on each single journey. The compartments assist me keep organized, it’s straightforward to hold up in a lodge rest room, and it packs up into the proper dimension to throw into my suitcase and go!
- Light-weight Day Bag: This light-weight backpack is ideal for some snacks, a water bottle, a bottle of sunscreen, our telephones, and no matter else we want for the day.
- Binoculars: Maui is likely one of the finest locations on the planet for nerding out about wildlife, so embrace your internal Lia’s Mother and get your self a pair of binoculars! They don’t must be fancy, they simply have that can assist you spot whales or lovely tropical birds. Some tour operators can have a pair of binoculars out there to lease, however when you deliver your personal binoculars and also you’ll be coated within the occasion that completely any critter is doing something lovely inside a mile radius!
- Exterior Battery: I exploit my telephone always whereas touring: for maps, as a digital camera, to take notes, to drag up my itinerary and journey planning doc, and to verify in again residence each time I’m on WiFi. So I at all times deliver alongside this exterior battery stuffed in my day pack. It holds about 2-3 full prices and prices my telephone FAST!
- Journey Umbrella: Should you’ll be visiting Maui between November and March, you’ll be there throughout wet season and also you’ll positively want an umbrella and a raincoat! Throughout the remainder of the yr, I’d nonetheless advocate packing a light-weight travel-friendly umbrella in your suitcase, simply in case.
- GoPro: You didn’t come all the best way to Maui to NOT get underwater footage of your self swimming with sea turtles, did you?? You gotta have a GoPro! They’re fingers down the most effective digital camera for capturing footage underwater. Simply be sure to additionally decide up the Commonplace Housing, the waterproof case that you simply’ll positively want earlier than you go underwater! For a extra budget-friendly choice, this waterproof motion digital camera may also do the trick.
Solar Safety for Hawai‘i
Hawai‘i is simply 1400 miles north of the equator, which suggests the solar is stronger on Maui than you’re used to again residence! So solar safety is basically, REALLY essential to guard your pores and skin. You’ll be doing your self a favor in the long term, and moreover – dangerous sunburns are trip ruining.
However you may’t simply stick any previous sunscreen in your suitcase and name it a day. In 2018, Hawaii grew to become the primary state within the USA to cross laws banning sunscreens containing the chemical compounds oxybenzone and octinoxate, which destroy coral reefs. So that you’ll must be very cautious about what sorts of sunscreen you deliver. We’ve included our particular suggestions under!
Listed below are the necessities to deliver with you in your journey to guard you from the solar:
- Reef-Secure Sunscreen: Going into the ocean? It’s essential to put on reef-safe sunscreen. Except you hate coral, fish, and likewise all of human life. Reef-safe sunscreen is designed to biodegrade and never hurt ocean life. Common sunscreen bleaches coral and ensures humanity’s swift loss of life from local weather change. So please, for the love of society’s inevitable collapse, put on reef-safe sunscreen when you’re going into the ocean! As a enjoyable bonus incentive, it’s really required by regulation in Hawai‘i. Though reef-safe sunscreen is at all times mineral, not all mineral sunscreens are reef-safe! Sunscreen should use “non-nano zinc oxide” particles to be reef protected (extra particulars right here). That is my favourite reef-safe sunscreen, and I exploit this light-weight sunscreen from Sephora on my face.
- Mineral Sunscreen: That is the least dangerous kind of sunscreen, in line with science. Mineral sunscreens use two pure minerals—zinc oxide and titanium dioxide—as lively elements. They mainly merely sit on prime of your pores and skin and defend it by bodily reflecting away UV rays, like tiny little mirrors. In the meantime, common chemical sunscreen soaks into your pores and skin and leads to your bloodstream (and breast milk, in line with this research) which squicks me out. Mineral sunscreens don’t soak into your pores and skin (in line with this research). So despite the fact that mineral sunscreens can really feel a bit heavier than chemical sunscreens, I favor to make use of them anyway! I exploit this one for my physique, and for my face (which is extra delicate) I exploit this light-weight mineral sunscreen.
- Mineral Sunscreen Lip Balm: Don’t neglect to guard the fragile pores and skin in your lips from sunburn, too!
- Solar Hat: Who says solar safety isn’t cute? This snug hat protects your face, neck, and chest from the solar and goes with each outfit. The adjustable band across the rim ensures that this hat will suit your head completely, and the neck twine means you may put on it even when it’s windy! That is my go-to on a regular basis hat.
Along with on a regular basis solar safety, you’ll wish to take additional care on days you’ll be spending extra time than common out on the water, like on a snorkeling or kayaking tour and even simply while you’ll be swimming within the warmth of the afternoon solar. I’m an enormous fan of sporting swim garments to guard your pores and skin and lower down on the quantity of sunscreen you’ll want to make use of!
- Rash Guard: I extremely advocate bringing alongside a long-sleeved rash guard, which is specifically designed for swimming in salt water. It feels the identical as swimsuit materials, dries shortly, and offers you loads of solar safety. Your arms and chest will keep protected, and when you’re a wuss in chilly water like I’m, you’ll get a lil’ warming enhance, too!
- Swim Leggings: My butt is at all times the very first thing to burn after I’m snorkeling. However swim leggings present full-coverage solar safety whereas letting you progress underwater with out restriction. Fast-drying swim leggings are designed to carry up in saltwater and chlorine, and similar to swimsuit materials, they dry shortly when you’re out of the water. I like Waterlust’s swim leggings line as a result of the model is tremendous sustainable and helps conservation and anti-racism initiatives, plus their leggings are 100% chlorine, solar, saltwater and sunscreen resistant and comprised of recycled supplies. Oh, they usually have POCKETS! Sizes go as much as 3XL.
Bear in mind: the extra your physique is roofed, the higher you’ll be protected against the solar, and the extra environmentally pleasant your seashore trip will probably be! Psst: For extra eco-friendly and accountable journey suggestions, head over to our Moral Journey Information.
- Journey Tip: In case you DO get sunburnt, a bottle of aloe vera will assist. However a good higher sunburn therapy? Apple cider vinegar! It smells horrible but it surely works miracles to take the sting out of a nasty burn and velocity up the therapeutic course of. Plus, it doesn’t really feel sticky and gross in your pores and skin. I deliver somewhat spray bottle stuffed with ACV on each seashore journey.
What to Put on in Hawai‘i
Whether or not you’re making an attempt to look cute or simply be snug, Hawai‘i is the sort of place that makes you wish to cowl your self in flowers and tropical vegetation. Or is that simply me?
Aside from trying just like the surroundings and perhaps attracting a hen buddy, my objective for clothes in Maui is to be as not-sweaty as potential! I wish to put on clothes that’s breezy and cozy and lets me transfer and stroll with out discomfort or restriction.
To not be a whole textile nerd (though I do have a level in style design, so I assume I’m licensed) however my favourite journey textiles for warm climate are linen, cotton, lyocell/tencel, wool and hemp. Search for these fibers in your clothes that can assist you keep cool and lower down on that odor you get after a sweaty day ( what I imply).
Listed below are a number of necessities you’ll wish to deliver to Maui:
- Lovable Cowl-Up: I stay in swimsuit cover-ups on seashore holidays. I do know they’re alleged to go over your swimsuit or no matter, however you’ll catch me sporting them in all places! That is my favourite cover-up due to the breezy, light-weight, cloth (… and since there’s monstera leaf print). Once I’m off the seashore, I pair it with denims or shorts and a tank prime.
- I’m additionally an enormous fan of rompers like this one as cover-ups, as a result of having some safety in your internal thighs cuts down on the dreaded Chub Rub
- Put on-Anyplace Sandals: In Maui, you want a pair of sandals that’s down for a day on the seashore, a protracted hike, scrambling on sharp lava rock, AND a romantic night out. Fortunately, my favourite pair has been as much as each problem I’ve thrown at them for the previous 10 years (er, to make clear: I’m on pair #4 of the identical model, however nonetheless). We additionally every introduced a pair of Allbirds Tree Skippers (his, hers), that are light-weight and breathable, and ideal for warm days with a number of strolling. Plus, they’re eco-friendly! I’ve received extra particulars on these sandals, and my different favourite sneakers for journey, this journey shoe information!
- The Gown: You understand what I imply after I say The Gown, proper? The Gown is the one in your closet that makes you’re feeling lovely, snug, ethereal, and free. It’s the costume you may throw on with a pair of sandals and have a whole outfit able to go. It’s the costume you’re gonna wish to put on each single day in your seashore trip. Should you don’t have The Gown but, get purchasing! My favourite attire, as a curvy woman, are A-line cuts with swingy skirts that hit me simply above the knee, like this one which I’ve in XL, or this one which is identical because the costume pictured above. Bonus factors for sweetheart necklines, travel-friendly cloth, and pockets!
- Bike Shorts with Pockets: Lady, I’m a dimension 16/18. You assume I can simply throw on a costume and go?! HA. No. #chubrublife Beneath my attire, I put on a pair of cozy, stretchy bike shorts with pockets. They’re as near leggings as you’re going to wish to get on the seashore. Should you don’t like bike shorts, at the least pack a stick of anti-chafe balm to assist with that vacation-ruining internal thigh chafe.
- Rompers: I like rompers as a result of when you throw one on, you’re sporting a whole-ass outfit! I’ve 3 of those linen-blend rompers from Outdated Navy in numerous colours (it additionally is available in plus sizing) they usually’re my go-to sizzling climate outfit! I’m additionally in love with this leaf-print romper (it matches this swimsuit!) and I put on it always.
- Lovable Sun shades: Not technically clothes, however simply as essential! You’re gonna be sporting your sun shades in each photograph, so the cuter, the higher. I like these rose gold heart-shaped sun shades that actually assist me see all the pieces by way of rose-colored glasses (ba-dum-ssh). They’re SO cute!
Water Sports activities Necessities for Maui
Water sports activities are a necessary a part of visiting Hawai‘i and have a protracted and storied historical past in Hawaiian tradition! Whether or not you’re making an attempt browsing or paddleboarding for the primary time, kayaking subsequent to humpback whales, or snorkeling with turtles, listed here are a number of of the necessities you’ll want.
- Dry Bag: Don’t set foot on a ship with out placing your stuff in a dry bag, simply in case. You by no means know when a wave/rogue sea lion goes to splash your sh*t. This one is great, with a mesh part within the entrance that we use for moist bathing fits or towels. Plus, it comes with a telephone protector too, so you may put on & use your telephone safely whereas white-water rafting, kayaking, or snorkeling!
- Snorkel Stuff: There are tons of seashores in Maui the place you may dive proper in and snorkel, no tour or information wanted! You may lease snorkel gear on the island and carry it together with you all week, however we had been glad that we introduced alongside a snorkel set and this snorkel masks, which is ridiculously wonderful (even when it seems somewhat ridiculous) – and also you received’t get that model of masks on any tour. If I needed to decide one merchandise to deliver slightly than lease, that masks can be it. That stated, even when you don’t deliver your personal gear, it’s nonetheless useful to deliver alongside somewhat bottle of anti-fog spray in your suitcase to deal with a supplied masks – I at all times appear to wish it.
- Rash Guard & Swim Leggings: These will assist defend your pores and skin from the solar so that you don’t have to consider re-applying when you’re having fun with your self out on the water. There’s a motive you at all times see surfers sporting them!
- Water Sneakers: For each minute that you simply’re not sporting flippers, you’ll wish to be sporting water sneakers. Whether or not you’re making an attempt to stroll over one of many insanely spiky black volcanic rocks – they’re fairly, however they harm so dangerous – or simply wading into some water (shock! extra volcanic rocks) your un-cut ft will thank me later. I swear by my trusty leather-based Tevas, and Jeremy likes traditional close-toed water sneakers.
Seaside Necessities for Maui
There are seashores in all places in Maui. And by regulation, they’re all open to the general public – sure, even those which might be tucked away behind luxurious accommodations! So there’s probability you’ll be spending a LOT of your time in Maui stress-free on the seashore.
A number of parks and seashores in Maui have bogs and altering amenities as properly rinse stations, however you’ll have to pack all the pieces else. Listed below are a number of necessities to deliver alongside:
- A number of Swimsuits: There’s probability you’ll be leaping into the water day-after-day, so that you’ll wish to deliver alongside a number of pairs of swimsuits so that you at all times have one thing dry to placed on! I’m a dimension 16/18, and my favourite swimsuit is that this one, which I actually have in 3 totally different colours. It’s wonderful. It’s good. It’s a freakin’ steal! I additionally love this go well with, and that is my favourite one piece. For extra swimsuit picks, take a look at my information to swimsuits for curvy ladies.
- Journey Towel: There’s completely no assure that the towels at your lodge are going to suit round your waist. Frankly, they not often match round my left thigh. Plus, they’re heavy and hulking and you will get in hassle for bringing them out of the lodge. So simply to be protected, I at all times deliver my very own travel-friendly, light-weight, quick-drying journey towel!
- Journey Clothesline: Newsflash: your lodge’s moist, darkish rest room is absolutely the WORST place to hold your clothes as much as dry. As an alternative, hold this tiny journey clothesline up someplace that will get loads of airflow and sun-like on a curtain rod in entrance of the window! Your moist swimsuit and journey towel will probably be dry very quickly.
- Seaside Tote: I’m a backpack woman, however that doesn’t lower it on the seashore. A superb seashore tote will do extra than simply maintain your entire stuff: it’ll additionally repel sand, zip closed so you may lock it when you swim, and even hold your lunch chilly in a removable cooler. Sure, for actual.
- Sand Repelling Seaside Mat: I hate sand SO MUCH and this mat is made with magical sand-repelling qualities. If sand doesn’t make you wish to go stay in an igloo without end, you may at all times simply use your towel as a mat as an alternative!
Maui Journey Tip: Hold some necessities (like a journey towel, swimsuit, or dry pair of lingerie) in your rental automobile – since you by no means know while you may see a stunning seashore and simply have to drag over and bounce into the glowing, heat water.
READ THIS POST
The 5 Greatest Swimsuits for Curves: Snug, Cute, & Area-Examined
Magnificence Necessities for Maui
I wrestle to look enticing within the warmth. I’m way more prone to appear like a sweaty, sunburnt mess with a head stuffed with tangles than a carefree Seaside Babe.
That stated, I do have a number of tips up my sleeve after I want to drag myself collectively after a protracted day on the seashore for like, a luau or no matter.
- Tinted Moisturizer: That is 99% of the make-up I put on on a seashore trip, truthfully. It’s sunscreen and basis in a single and I can’t be bothered with something extra difficult than that. (Notice: If I’m going swimming, I put on this reef-safe face sunscreen as an alternative.)
- Journey-Pleasant Make-up: If I’m making an attempt to get actual fancy I’ll throw on somewhat cream blush (, for the 5 minutes earlier than I’m sunburnt) and a few waterproof mascara. And there you could have it: my seashore trip look in a nutshell.
- Daring Lipstick: My favourite shortcut for trying put collectively is to throw on some vivid, daring lipstick! It immediately tips everybody into considering you’re a make-up goddess, even when the remainder of your face is a dry, flaky mess and you’ve got a snorkel masks imprint burnt onto your brow (see photographs above). Within the winter, I’m all a couple of vivid purple lip, however on the seashore I are inclined to go for a ridiculous vivid pink as an alternative, like this one. I favor to put on long-lasting lip stains or these liquid lipsticks as a result of I’m too lazy to reapply.
- Moisturizer: My pores and skin feels SO dry after a day within the solar, so I take particular care to moisturize like loopy on seashore holidays! I just lately
turned 30began a legit skincare routine and taking higher care of my pores and skin, and this Evan Healy moisturizer is my absolute HG ride-or-die favourite. I additionally like to make use of actually light-weight moisturizers in sizzling climate, like pure, light-weight argan oil which soaks proper into my pores and skin (and hair!) with out that greasy oily feeling and doesn’t break me out.
- Mineral Face Sunscreen: I’m pretty lazy in the case of skincare – I’m extremely probably to make use of a child wipe to scrub my face and name it a day – however this light-weight mineral facial sunscreen is a vital a part of my each day skincare routine, particularly whereas touring after I’ll be exterior within the solar all day lengthy! Vital: Ensure that to put on reef-safe face sunscreen when you’ll be going within the water that day.
- Curly Hair Provides: Maui’s humidity does issues to my hair, and I used to dread the frizz. However I’ve just lately embraced my hair’s pure texture and gone all-in on the Curly Lady Technique, so my common low-maintenance “f**ok it, I’ll brush it after I get residence” hair has reworked into bouncy, shiny curls. Like, who am I, significantly? Right here’s what I deliver with me after I journey: all this product, a journey blowdryer, a journey diffuser, and a microfiber hair towel. YES I do know it’s tremendous additional. However my curls look flawless – and for the primary time in my life I’ve persistently good hair!
- Dry Shampoo: I’m gonna be trustworthy – on our final journey to Maui, I went swimming nearly day-after-day and washing my hair appeared like an entire factor. So I spritzed some dry shampoo on my roots, moist my curls and re-scrunched them with conditioner, and went on my merry manner.
Able to pack your baggage when you sing Moana songs on the prime of your lungs? Or is that simply me..? Did this submit enable you to to really feel extra ready to your journey? Drop us a remark or query under!
Psst: Planning a visit to Hawai‘i? Take a look at a few of our different posts!
Did you discover this submit useful? Put it aside for afterward Pinterest!