Wednesday newsletters at all times function a resort or flight evaluate.
At present: Assessment of Belmond Resort Caruso in Ravello, Italy
Located in probably the most spectacular location, nearly suspended between sea and sky, Belmond Resort Caruso occupies a former medieval palace on the highest, quietest level of Ravello, overlooking the rocks and cliffs of Italy’s Amalfi Coast and the Mediterranean (or, extra appropriately, Tyrrhenian) Sea. With frescoed salons, arched stone vaults and simply 50 extremely particular person rooms and suites occupying each form and nook of the traditional palace’s structure, it’s an intimate retreat with an intriguing sense of historical past. However above all, with its rose arbour resulting in one of many world’s most spectacular infinity swimming pools, with sunlit or candlelit eating within the Belvedere Restaurant, and with a wealthy sense of its previous as a retreat for presidents, writers and movie stars, the resort is sort of impossibly romantic.
Belmond Resort Caruso options in my high 10 lists of one of the best luxurious motels in Italy, the world’s most spectacular cliffside luxurious motels, one of the best luxurious motels on Capri, Ischia, and the Amalfi Coast, the world’s most gorgeous resort swimming pools, and my favourite Belmond motels on the planet.
Have you ever ever stayed at Belmond Resort Caruso? In that case, what was your expertise? Depart a remark.
On this evaluate (extra data beneath my slideshow & Youtube clip):
PROS & THINGS I LIKE
- Belmond Resort Caruso is situated on a picturesque cobblestone sq. within the coronary heart of Ravello, considered one of Italy’s most totally charming villages. A few 60 minutes drive from Naples’ airport, the mountain village of Ravello is about on the Sorrento Peninsula, far faraway from the crowds that flock to its coastal neighbors Positano, Amalfi and Sorrento. Based within the sixth century, Ravello contains a Twelfth-century cathedral, homes in-built Arabic-Sicilian type, winding slender streets, and aromatic gardens. Villa Cimbrone is a powerful lookout level within the village, and there’s a summer season music competition on the terrace at Villa Rufolo, whose backyard impressed Wagner’s Parsifal. La Dolce Vita was absolutely born right here, surrounded by lemon timber within the lazy, scorching climes of Italy’s Campania province.
- The ultraluxe property is the greatest situated resort on the Amalfi Coast, perched by itself little rocky spur at Ravello’s highest level (350 meters or 1150 ft above sea degree). The resort provides jaw-dropping, unobstructed views over the mountainous Amalfi shoreline and the turquoise Tyrrhenian Sea from nearly in every single place (together with the pool space, gardens, rooms and restaurant). The Belmond’s unbelievable hilltop location and its fabulous views out to the ocean and surrounding cities is certainly one of many property’s main attracts and can sweep you off your ft. The panorama from the resort has typically been described by shiny journey magazines as ‘probably the most stunning on the planet’.
- Belmond Resort Caruso started life as an Eleventh-century palazzo, constructed by a patrician Roman household who got down to attain Constantinople, the brand new heart of the Roman Empire, however failed due to a storm at sea and ended up in Ravello. Over the next centuries, because the Italian republics squabbled, Ravello was destroyed and the palace fell out and in of wreck. By the sixteenth century, it had been fully rebuilt, with the addition of a splendid colonnade within the raised backyard. An additional interval of neglect adopted, till 1893 when Pantaleone Caruso, a hotelier and winery proprietor, opened the property as a resort. Belmond (beforehand Orient-Categorical Resorts) acquired the Resort Caruso Belvedere in 2000 and commenced a painstaking, four-year restoration, working carefully with the Italian High-quality Arts authorities, earlier than reopening the resort as it’s identified at the moment.
- Similar to its sister property Belmond Resort Cipriani in Venice (which I reviewed right here), the Belmond Resort Caruso is a celeb hotspot. The celebrity of the resort began in 1903, when a New York Occasions journalist visited, and his article impressed many rich and influential Individuals, overwintering on the European rivieras, to go to. It grew to become a favourite hang-out of Virginia Woolf and the Bloomsbury Group. Attracted by the cocoon of privateness, later friends included Greta Garbo, Gina Lollobrigida, Humphrey Bogart, Jackie Kennedy and Dustin Hoffman, who all loved the peace of strolling among the many vines within the colonnaded gardens, the style of genuine Neapolitan cooking and a captivating environment away from prying lenses.
- Belmond Resort Caruso contains a basic decor in grand type with frescoed salons, mosaic flooring, arched stone vaults, and marble hallways. Visitors are nonetheless greeted within the luxurious foyer by two stone Thirteenth-century lions guarding the doorway and the fabulous view which have outlined the palazzo proper from the start. Strolling across the property is a like a journey again in time to the Renaissance period. Colourful frescoes of ribbons, flowers, cornucopias, Arcadian scenes, cameos, goddesses and nymphs adorn the ceilings in a number of salons, the drawing room, the chapel, the bar, the boutique store and the foyer. The resort’s inside was created by designer Federico Forquet, who launched fashionable parts and Twenty first-century expertise, with out shedding the authenticity of the palace itself or the Neapolitan spirit.
- Belmond Resort Caruso provides 51 rooms and suites, all very spacious and every with its personal particular person type. Most boast sea views from their terraces and plenty of take pleasure in a non-public backyard. Throughout my go to, I stayed in a Deluxe Suite, situated on the property’s higher flooring and that includes a separate residing space and one bed room with a kingsized mattress. The suite embraced a Neapolitan type decor and was furnished with 18th- and Nineteenth-century antiques. The ground was coated in magnificent mosaic tiles resembling a bit of artwork. The spacious toilet featured a separate bathe cubicle, bathtub, bidet and double self-importance basins, and a singular (and really personal) out of doors bathe. Unique Bulgari and Penhaligon toiletries had been offered and replenished each day. The rooftop terrace was furnished with sunbeds, a desk and chairs, and provided stupendous views of the gardens and the ocean. Unquestionably, this was one of many most astonishingly stunning resort rooms I’ve ever slept in.
- Belmond Resort Caruso options magnificent, Mediterranean type gardens, that cascade down the hill in layered terraces. The gardens have been over 100 years within the making and comprise a set of hidden spots, massive lawns and scented walkways, with olive timber for shade, and lemon timber and herb beds offering contemporary mint, thyme, rosemary and bay to be used within the kitchens. Roses bloom and climb at each flip, most memorably over the elegant colonnade that leads up steps to the very best level of the property, the place you discover the pool space (extra on that beneath).
- The property’s really jaw-dropping infinity swimming pool is commonly listed among the many greatest resort swimming pools on the planet. Inbuilt 2005 on the area’s highest level, the pool is an architectural triumph which seems to be suspended over the Amalfi shoreline, taking full benefit of the exceptional vistas. The pool is satisfactorily sized and lined with very comfy white-cushioned solar loungers and umbrellas. Clay pots crammed with pink and white flowers beautify the stone-tile deck. Pool providers embrace the concierge delivering an iPod pre-loaded together with your selection of music, or a contemporary fruit appetizer or cocktail to the aspect of the pool as you swim.
- There’s additionally a small villa within the gardens with an air-conditioned fitness center on the bottom flooring and an intimate spa upstairs. The fitness center, although small, has a full vary of cardio gear and weight machines, all positioned in entrance of a window with a distracting, panoramic view of the shoreline – the proper method to overlook how exhausting the exercise is. A private coach can also be obtainable. The primary-floor wellness heart provides a well-constructed menu of important remedies utilizing merchandise by Aromatherapy Associates and Sothys. Therapies are tailor-made for face, physique, hair or magnificence, with massages and aromatherapy experiences provided alongside specialist rituals, comparable to a 140-minute moms and daughters wellness package deal.
- Eating amenities on the resort embrace the superb eating Belvedere restaurant and an informal poolside restaurant. Belvedere restaurant offers a stellar eating expertise – with deal with genuine Italian delicacies – which surpasses the view. The restaurant’s terrace – from the place you may admire the breathtaking views of the Amalfi Coast – is shaded by a cover, in order that friends can eat exterior with out being affected by the solar. Breakfast can also be served right here, with a superbly displayed buffet in one of many salons complemented by an a la carte menu for eggs. The poolside restaurant – which has the gorgeous infinity pool because the backdrop – provides an easygoing menu of Italian favorites, a lavish salad bar and genuine Neapolitan pizza straight from a wood-fired oven.
- Indoors, the cocktail & piano bar is a complicated spot for an early night cocktail or a late-night digestif. This is without doubt one of the resort’s public rooms which advantages from having magnificent, restored 18th-century frescoes, and for those who can take your eyes off the ceiling, there are additionally views over the Amalfi shoreline. The atmospherically lit bar space, with its immense wood bar, provides an in depth record of cocktails – Italian favorites and new mixes – and a big selection of wines, champagnes and scrumptious native prosecco.
- Belmond Resort Caruso belongs to the portfolio of the Belmond Resort Group fomerly often known as Orient Categorical till its rebranding in 2014. Belmond is a resort and leisure firm that manages a ultraluxe assortment of 49 iconic motels, trains and river cruises in 24 international locations, bringing collectively a few of the world’s most sensational journeys and locations. It ranks among the many most unique resort manufacturers on the planet. With Belmond, you may keep in timeless motels in Venice, Rio and St. Petersburg, embrace the spirit of journey at Machu Picchu or Angkor Wat, glide alongside the rails by means of the Swiss Alps, soar throughout the Andes, or discover the mystifying rivers of Myanmar.
- It’s a couple of 15-minute drive to Amalfi, the gorgeous but in addition very touristic seaside city crammed with outlets, cafes, and sights such because the Duomo di Amalfi. The village of Positano – which clings precariously to the mountains – is about an hour away by automotive. Complimentary shuttle service is obtainable by the property to each Amalfi and Positano. Visitors also can benefit from the each day complimentary boat excursions alongside the Amalfi Coast, on board of the resort’s personal boat.
CONS & THINGS TO KNOW
Resort Belmond Caruso is considered one of Italy’s most romantic boltholes. The hillside setting in a medieval city, the grand palalazzo-like design, stunning rooms, lush gardens, a spectacular pool, and a world-class restaurant match the breathtaking views. It’s very exhausting to fault the resort, however it’s possible you’ll wish to know the next nonetheless:
- The resort’s spa is small. If you’re on the lookout for a wellness keep, it’s possible you’ll be disillusioned since state-of-the-art spa amenities (e.g. sauna, steamroom, whirlpool, and so on …) are missing apart from the therapy rooms. That stated, you may nonetheless take pleasure in a vary of remedies and massages designed to nourish thoughts, physique and soul and a few therapies may even be loved within the romantic gardens underneath an azure sky.
- The property is extraordinarily costly, however so are most high motels on the Amalfi Coast, an space of Italy the place vacation budgets come to die. However IMHO, Belmond Resort Caruso is effectively value its appreciable price ticket because it is without doubt one of the most unique motels in Italy, offers a tremendous journey expertise you’ll always remember.
- Location: 10/10
- Design: 9/10
- Pool: 10/10
- Rooms: 10/10
- Meals: 9/10
- Breakfast: 10/10
- Spa: 9/10
- Service: 10/10
- Worth for cash: 10/10
- Total expertise: distinctive: 9,8/10
TIPS FOR FUTURE GUESTS & SAVE MONEY
- Get monetary savings: get complimentary VIP perks at Belmond Resort Caruso when reserving by way of Virtuoso (e.g. room improve, each day breakfast, early check-in, late check-out, and $100 USD meals & beverage credit score).
- Get monetary savings: learn my ideas for getting one of the best deal at a luxurious resort like Belmond Resort Caruso.
- Room tip: Though you may’t go incorrect right here – since every room is totally charming – I like to recommend to guide or request a room (and even higher, a set) on a better flooring with view of the ocean. Suite Deluxe #208 (the one I stayed in throughout my go to) is extremely stunning and boasts an infinite personal terrace.
- Learn my ideas for making ready your journey in time.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
Surely one of the best time to see the Amalfi Coast is from April to June, when the spring flowers are in bloom, the climate is simply heat sufficient, and the temperature of the Mediterranean permits for the primary dips of the season. By selecting late spring or early summer season, you can too keep away from the vacationer crush of July and August and the oppressive temperatures later within the 12 months. The autumn months of September and October are additionally a superb time to go to the Amalfi Coast, for the reason that temperatures are nonetheless gentle, the times sunny (more often than not), and the lion’s share of vacationers have left.
HOW TO GET THERE
Naples Worldwide Airport in Capodichino is a brief 65 km (60 minutes) drive from Belmond Resort Caruso. Transfers might be organized by way of the resort, or by way of a non-public taxi firm (I used Eurolimo and paid 120 euros a technique for the switch between the airport and the resort). The resort’s concierge also can prepare a non-public helicopter to fulfill you in your arrival on the airport and transport you to the resort in supreme luxurious. For a listing of airways that supply direct flights to Naples, click on right here.
PHOTOS OF BELMOND HOTEL CARUSO
*** Observe me on Instagram, YouTube, Twitter or Fb for a each day second of journey inspiration ***