The Cotswold Means is a Nationwide Strolling Path that meanders via among the most lovely English countryside, from Tub to Chipping Campden. This 102 mile path runs via the Cotswolds Space of Excellent Pure Magnificence, and also you couldn’t ask for a extra quintessentially English panorama, of rolling fields, honey stone villages and hilltop views. You may stroll the entire path comfortably in 10 days, though quicker walkers could lower this right down to 7 or 8 days.
I’ve opted for the gentler tempo and have been strolling the Cotswold Means in day phases beginning in Tub, on the southern finish of the path, which occurs to be near the place I dwell in Bristol. Since there may be a lot to see, this Cotswold Means information covers the primary 3 days of my stroll and I’ll be writing about later phases of the stroll as I full them.
The primary 3 day-walks on the Cotswold Means, working northwards from Tub, would make a super lengthy weekend or 3-4 day break. You received’t wish to miss the glories of Tub, with its Roman Baths and stylish Georgian structure, so I’d add a day on to your strolling itinerary. The Cotswold Means takes you out of Tub via rolling countryside, woods full of wildflowers, with occasional glimpses of stylish nation houses and fairly villages. There are many locations to cease and admire the view and by the top of this 3 day stage at Wotton-under-edge you’re reaching the beginning of the Cotswold Escarpment with much more beautiful views to come back.
This text could include affiliate hyperlinks that present fee on purchases you make at no further price to you. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cotswold Means Day 1 – Tub to Chilly Aston
Overview of Day 1
The Cotswold Means begins within the centre of Tub rising via undulating farmland onto the Lansdown Escarpment. There are some great viewpoints with panoramic views in direction of the cities of Tub and Bristol and the river Avon flowing between them.
In case you have not already visited Tub, it is best to add a day on to your deliberate itinerary to go to this attractive metropolis. Tub is filled with honey stone Georgian buildings, with extra sights than you may pack in earlier than your stroll, with out making too lengthy a day. It will even be enjoyable to stroll this stage in reverse from Chilly Ashton to Tub, as arriving amongst such lovely environment would make an inspiring finish to the stroll.
Day 1 Strolling Route: Tub – Weston – Lansdown Hill – Chilly Ashton
Highlights Day 1
- Kelston Spherical Hill – after leaving Weston the stroll rises up via undulating fields and pastures and you actually begin to really feel you’ve got left Tub behind.
- Prospect Stile – on the sting of Tub Racecourse at Lansdown, look again in direction of Kelston Spherical Hill and revel in a panoramic view that encompasses each Bristol and Tub.
- Little Down Hill Fort – the open views after you have handed Tub racecourse are superb and we made this our picnic spot on the prime of the escarpment overlooking the countryside and Bristol within the distance.
- Pipley Barn cafe – an enthralling place to cease for tea and cake if it’s open and maybe see one of many impromptu performances that they lay on at weekends. Gareth the juggler was in full move as we purchased an ice cream there. I beloved the placing steel dragon sculptures beside the trail by David Michael Morse.
- The Granville Monument and knowledge plaques concerning the Battle of Lansdown, a Civil Warfare battle that came about on this space in 1643 with a collection of flag put up markers at key locations from the battle.
Day 1 – Services & retailers
There are quite a few retailers, pubs and cafes at first of the stroll in Tub. The village of Weston is an hour into the stroll and has a small grocery store open every day, the place you should purchase picnic provisions, in addition to a pharmacy and some different retailers. We didn’t cross every other retailers or pubs en route, however after round 4 hours we handed Pipley Barn which has a seasonal cafe serving passing walkers close to the Lansdown Golf Course. Bathrooms obtainable within the Tub Victoria Park automobile park at first and at Pipley Barn cafe if open.
Parking in Tub and Chilly Aston
In Tub we parked within the Victoria Park automobile park just under The Royal Crescent (expenses apply) and walked up from there. Parking in Chilly Aston on the finish of our stroll is out there within the Village Corridor automobile park which is free and open all day however locked after 11pm. We positioned one automobile there and used it to drive again to the beginning the place we had parked.
The place to remain in Chilly Aston
In case you are strolling constantly, the very best place to remain round Chilly Aston is Hill Farm (B&B simply earlier than Chilly Aston) or proceed on to Pennsylvania the place there are 2 cottage B&Bs, Cornflake Cottage and Swan Cottage. Campers ought to head to Chilly Ashton Cafe at Folly Finish Farm the place tenting could also be organized within the area.
The place to remain in Tub
It’s value including a day to your Cotswold Means itinerary, to discover the picturesque metropolis of Tub, so you could want lodging right here for an evening or two. There’s plenty of alternative of Tub inns to swimsuit all budgets, however if you wish to deal with your self to a boutique model resort we advocate Lodge Indigo, Francis Lodge M Gallery, or No. 15 Nice Pulteney. There are additionally many luxurious inns and stylish B&Bs, however for no frills lodging strive the YHA Tub or Z Inns Tub.
Day 1 – Distance and timing
This stage from Tub to Chilly Aston is round 16 km / 10 miles and our guidebook estimated 5 3/4 hours. It really took us 7 hours together with a beneficiant lunch break and quite a few pictures stops, and we did linger round Tub. Most walkers would in all probability do it in 6 hours should you don’t make as many stops as us.
Cotswold Means Day 2 – Chilly Aston to Outdated Sodbury
Overview of Day 2 – Chilly Aston to Outdated Sodbury
This part of the Cotswold Means is considerably marred by busy roads and the proximity to the M4 motorway, which you cross half approach via the stroll. Nonetheless there are fairly views as the trail leads via woodland filled with spring flowers, previous Dyrham Property and thru the English pastoral panorama of Dodington Park. We loved our lunchtime cease by the village pond in Tormarton and made surprisingly good time to succeed in the village of Outdated Sodbury. If you wish to lengthen the day’s stroll you may proceed on to Little Sodbury.
Day 2 Strolling Route: Chilly Ashton – Pennsylvania – Dyrham – Tormarton – Dodington Park – Outdated Sodbury
Day 2 – Highlights
- Fairly Dyrham Wooden between Pennsylvania and Dyrham Park. As we have been strolling in early Could the trail meandered gently downhill via swathes of bluebells and wild garlic, opening as much as views over the countryside.
- Dyrham Park – the Cotswold Means passes behind Dyrham Park (Nationwide Belief) and though we didn’t go in, there’s a pleasant view of the again of Dyrham Home and formal gardens via the wrought iron gates.
- The village pond at Tormarton – the village of Tormarton is a superb place to cease for lunch, filled with fairly homes and a few pubs. It’s surprisingly quiet regardless of being so near the M4 motorway. We had our picnic on the benches overlooking the Girl Altrincham Tormarton village pond, a tranquil wildlife haven for geese and birds.
- Dodington Park – the stroll via this park gave us a glimpse of the properly managed property of businessman James Dyson, with rolling pasture, trickling streams and herds of sheep grazing. Sadly the bushes conceal any view of the Grade 1 listed primary home and there are ample notices to discourage you from straying off the footpath.
Additional locations to go to – Dyrham Park
You’ll cross Dyrham Park on this present day’s strolling, which is run by the Nationwide Belief and price a go to. There’s no entry from the Cotswold Means path which is behind the home, so that you’ll have to make your technique to the primary entrance on the entrance. The Baroque model home sits inside a valley and there’s a fairly church to 1 facet, surrounded by formal gardens and parkland. The home starred within the movie Stays of the Day and inside you may see artwork and seventeenth century Delft porcelain and properly because the Victorian kitchens.
Day 2 – Services and retailers
There are not any retailers at first of the stroll in Chilly Aston, however quickly after leaving the village you cross the storage at Pennsylvania which might be the very best place to replenish on any snacks you want. At Tolldown you can also make a brief detour from the Cotswold Means if you wish to go to the Marshfield Bakery and Effective Cheese Firm subsequent door. On the finish of the stroll there’s a service station on the primary street as you enter Outdated Sodbury.
In case you haven’t introduced a picnic and will not be impressed by what’s obtainable on the storage store, your finest wager is a pub lunch at Tormarton. In Chilly Ashton there’s a restaurant at Folly Finish Farm, a few pubs at Tormarton and The Canine Inn pub at Outdated Sodbury. The perfect place for a lunch cease is round Tormarton, the place there’s a nice village pond with benches for a picnic or meals obtainable within the pubs (however test first as they could not do lunch day by day). The one bogs are within the pubs you cross.
Parking in Chilly Aston and Outdated Sodbury
In Chilly Aston at first of our stroll we parked within the Village Corridor automobile park which is free and open all day however locked after 11pm. At Outdated Sodbury, there may be loads of unrestricted road parking on the street that leads as much as the varsity and church.
The place to remain in Outdated Sodbury
In case you are strolling constantly, the very best place to remain in Outdated Sodbury is the Canine Inn (proper on the path) or Cross Arms Lodge ( a brief stroll from the path). B&B lodging in or round Outdated Sodbury contains Rock Cottage and Sodbury Home. In case you take pleasure in tenting, proceed to Little Sodbury the place Cotswold Meadow Tenting have prepared erected tents and a shepherd’s hut in addition to regular tenting pitches.
Day 2 – Distance and timing
This stage of the Cotswold Means from Chilly Aston to Outdated Sodbury is round 13.7 km / 8 1/2 miles and the guidebook estimated 4 3/4 hours. It really took us 4 1/4 hours together with a 30 minute lunch break and some pictures stops, so somewhat shorter than we anticipated.
Cotswold Means Day 3 – Little Sodbury to Wotton-under-edge
Overview of Day 3 – Outdated Sodbury to Wotton-under-edge
This part presents a nice day’s stroll via a gently rolling panorama of fields, woodland and fairly villages. The primary attraction is the prospect to admire the picturesque mellow stone hamlets and absorb the peace of the Cotswold countryside. The day ends in Wotton-under-edge, a gorgeous Cotswold city the place it’s value taking a little bit of time to stroll across the village streets and peek into hidden courtyards via gaps between the retailers.
Day 3 Strolling route: Outdated Sodbury – Little Sodbury – Horton – Hawkesbury Upton – Decrease Kilcott – Alderley – Wortley – Wotton-under-edge.
Day 3 – Highlights
- Horton Court docket and St James the Elder – The Cotswold Means runs on excessive floor above the Nationwide Belief property of Horton Court docket with its engaging twelfth century church. It’s solely open July – September however in order for you to try the outside, you’re in all probability higher to comply with the lane on to it moderately than try to scramble down from the trail. We might solely get a tantalising glimpse via the bushes however just a bit additional there’s a bench with a wonderful view.
- Hawkesbury Upton – This engaging village is properly value a cease, though the trail solely runs previous the reflective Drover’s pool, so it’s important to stroll into the primary village to seek out the wonderful pubs and village store.
- Monument to Normal Lord Robert Somerset – There didn’t appear to be any technique to climb this tall monument and even get near it, nevertheless it made an fascinating level of reference on the skyline and we had our picnic on the bench close by. Erected in 1846, the Somerset Monument commemorates Normal Lord Robert Somerset, son of the Duke of Beaufort, whose household seat is at close by Badminton, serving as a soldier at Waterloo and was MP for Cirencester.
- The Drover’s path – in a number of components of the stroll we have been following an outdated Drovers path alongside which livestock have been dropped at market. These trails typically run between steep banks, worn down over the centuries and are cool and atmospheric, if somewhat spooky.
- Decrease Kilcott – we walked via this gorgeous hamlet alongside a shallow chalk stream, in an enclosed valley that felt very removed from the madding crowd.
Day 3 – Services and Retailers
Leaving Outdated Sodbury, there’s an opportunity to purchase some snacks on the storage on the primary street, however you’ll discover a more sensible choice at Hawkesbury Upton which has a village store, put up workplace and several other locations to eat. As soon as you allow Hawkesbury Upton, there’s not a lot else (except you make a detour to the pub at Hillesley) till you attain Wotton-under-edge.
The nice nation city of Wotton-under-edge presents vary of outlets, pubs and cafes the place you may replenish for the following day’s picnic or get a night meal. In case you are after a pub lunch, the very best wager is in Hawkesbury Upton at both The Fox Inn, which includes the Cotswold Kitchen or the Beaufort Arms. We walked to the sting of Hawkesbury Upton and had our picnic on the bench reverse the Somerset Monument. The one bogs on the stroll are in pubs or cafes however there are public bogs in Wotton-under-edge.
Parking in Outdated Sodbury and Wotton below edge
At the beginning of our day’s stroll, we parked in Outdated Sodbury on the street that runs via the village main as much as the varsity and church, the place parking is unrestricted. On the finish of our stroll in Wotton below edge there’s a free village automobile park, however parking is restricted to three hours. As a substitute we parked alongside Outdated City street, the place parking was unrestricted, regardless of the move of visitors being fairly busy. There’s additionally the small Potters Pond Automotive Park which is free and has a most keep of 23 hours.
The place to remain in Wotton below edge
In case you are strolling constantly, Wotton below edge is a perfect place to remain on the finish of Day 3, with vary of outlets and locations to eat. The Swan is a seventeenth century inn conveniently positioned within the centre of city or there are a few B&Bs in Merlin Haven; Quantity Eleven and Hawk’s View (the guidebook has extra particulars). Different B&B choices are listed on the Wotton below edge web site, though most are exterior the city. If none of those are appropriate, you possibly can additionally proceed to North Nibley, the place you will discover lodging at The Black Horse Inn.
Day 3 – Distance and timings
At the present time’s stroll on the Cotswold Means from Outdated Sodbury to Wotton below Edge is round 19.7 km / 12 1/4 miles and the guidebook estimated 6 3/4 hours. It really took us 6 hours together with a 30 minute lunch break and some pictures stops.
Cotswold Means Guidebook
That can assist you plan your journey, we extremely advocate the Trailblazer information to the Cotswold Means by Tricia & Bob Hayne & Henry Stedman. This glorious information makes use of detailed, hand drawn maps that are simple to comply with whichever path you select to stroll the Cotswold Means. There are additionally descriptions of the cities and villages the path passes via, with info on pubs, locations to remain and timings. The introductory chapters additionally give loads of helpful info and tips on nature, security, transport and itineraries.
Different info to assist with planning is out there on the Cotswold Means Nationwide Trails web site the place you may also order their very own guidebook and the Cotswolds Tourism web site.
Locations to remain on the Cotswold Means
Discover info on inns within the Cotswolds and different locations to remain in your stroll.
Pin it for later
This text is initially printed at Heatheronhertravels.com – Learn the unique article right here